Non-pumpkin pie – Pumpkin pie crunch
I love pumpkin pie, but my kids tend to not eat the crust (even though I think that is the best part). So I make them this non-pumpkin pie, pumpkin pie crunch recipe and they love it. It has the deliciousness of a pumpkin pie, with a crunchy cake topping.
If you are looking for an alternative to your traditional pie for Thanksgiving or your Fall family gathering, this recipe is worth checking out. You can take it to office parties and I would even make it for an alternative birthday cake (we make pumpkin pie for my husband for his birthday). Serve with a little whipped cream on top and enjoy.
If you cook your own pie pumpkins, it’s an inexpensive dish to make and you can tell people you really worked for this pie.
Who do you know that loves pumpkin pie but not the crust?
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree (or 2 cups fresh cooked pumpkin pie)
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 9 x 13 pan
- Spice Cake Mix
- 1 cup melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix the can of pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs and pumpkin spice.
- Open the spice cake mix and sprinkle on top of the pumpkin mixture as evenly as possible.
- Pour the melted butter over the cake mix.
- Cook for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until the pie below the crust is firmed.
- Allow to cook before serving, the pie needs to set up a bit.
- Serve with whipped cream and try not to eat it all yourself.