three cheese baked manicotti
Baked manicotti is one of my families favorite recipes that I make. There are usually no leftovers when I make this. My son licks his plate and goes for seconds. It’s always a good feeling when you make a dish they love.
I find that a little planning is involved to get this out of the kitchen quickly. You need to be preheating the oven, while you are boiling the shells. While waiting for the shells to cook you combine the cheese so that you are ready to fill them and then put the dish in the oven. The entire dish could be made the night before to cook as well.
We love to serve this with garlic bread. You can pick your favorite veggie too.
- 7 manicotti shells
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 jar your favorite tomato sauce
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese (for on top)
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (for top)
- pinch of Italian seasoning (for top)
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- While the oven is heating, place the shells in a pan with water and cook the shells until they are aldente.
- In a bowl mix the ricotta and egg until incorporated.
- Add in the 1 cup of Italian, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, black pepper, Italian seasoning and mix well.
- In a 8x8 pan, pour 1/4 of the jar of sauce on the bottom (this keeps the pasta from sticking to the bottom).
- Once the shells are done cooking, remove from heat, drain and add cold water so that you can handle the shells.
- With a small spoon, push the ingredients into the shells until they are full.
- If the shells split open, that is ok. Just put a few spoonfuls of cheese until they are full, close and put the open side down.
- Once the shells are full, spread the 1/4 jar of sauce and spread on top of the sheels.
- Take the remaining Italian cheese and spread on top of the shells. Then put the Parmesan cheese and spread on top as well. Add the pinch of Italian seasoning on top as well.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the cheese is melted on top.
- Serve and enjoy.