Blueberries bursting with flavor in this cast iron blueberry lemon scones recipe.
Whether you buy blueberries in a store or picked at a local u-pick, these scones will be full of flavor. I like to freeze the blueberries in air tight containers after we get them home (and washed).
When I bake with blueberries, I put them into the dish frozen so their purple juice does not stain the batter.
Be sure your cast iron dish is seasoned well and butter generously. This will allow the scones to come out easily and be nice a buttery crisp when done baking.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 stick butter cold cubed
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, add the flour, baking power, baking soda and sugar. Stir well.
- With a fork, cut in the butter until it is small pieces (break the butter into small pieces)
- Add the milk and zest from a lemon and stir to incorporate.
- Add the blueberries and stir gently (try not to make the dough turn purple from the blueberries, I like to use frozen blueberries).
- Butter your cast iron pan well.
- Pour the mix into the pan and cook for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to rest and serve.