I never seem to make lasagna the same way twice. The basics are the same, cheese, meat and sauce. It’s just the type of meat or sauce that is used and what cheese we have. We had left over Italian sausage from breakfast. My daughter had been asking me to make lasagna, so we made Italian sausage lasagna.
When you have left over ground beef or sausage, you can take left overs and turn into lasagna. Browning the meat is done when using left overs, so it saves time.
I prefer to use Italian blend cheese when making lasagna, but you can use mozzarella and a little mild cheddar too.
- 6 cooked lasagna noodles
- 1 cup cooked, crumbled Italian sausage
- 1 jar tomato sauce (we used tomato basil flavored)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 egg
- pinch of Italian seasoning
- 1-2 cups - 5 italian cheese blend, shreaded
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- In a pan, heat the Italian sausage, sauce, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and garlic until warm.
- In a bowl add the ricotta cheese, parsley, tarragon and egg and mix together.
- Place half the mix on the bottom of the pan.
- Add a layer of lasagna noodles.
- Place half the ricotta mix on top of the noodles and spread out evenly.
- Add another layer of noodles and the rest of the ricotta mix and spread out evenly.
- Add the last layer of noodles and the remaining sauce mix.
- Add the 5 Italian cheese blend on top and sprinkle the pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest 10 minutes before serving.