Lemon blueberry crumb cake
I find that this dish works great with frozen blueberries for the fact that the blueberries keep their shape and don’t discolor the dough (personal preference). Fresh work well too.
In Michigan we have blueberry farmers. We love to go blueberry picking and then freeze them on sheets and then put into containers. The blueberries are then used year round for recipes. Sometimes we even make syrup and other great things.
Who will you make this crumb cake for?
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemon's worth)
- 1 stick melted butter (and cool)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups blueberries (I used frozen)
- Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 9x9 or 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, add the flour, baking powder and salt and blueberries and mix and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add the egg and whisk until the egg yolks turn a lighter yellow..
- Add the sugar into the egg and mix.
- Add the lemon juice.
- Add the melted butter (be sure it is cooled and not hot) and mix into the egg and sugar.
- Add 1/2 the sour cream and mix and then add the remainder and mix.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the wet gradually and stir until incorporated.
- Put into the 9x9 dish.
- crumb topping
- In a bowl mix ingredients together.
- Crumb topping should become a ball or crumbly.
- Crumble over the top of the dish all over. (if you use a 9x13 you may want to double the crumb topping recipe to cover more area)
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean.
- Let Cool and serve.