It will take a little time to boil the potatoes, but you will be thanking yourself for the effort.
If you make extra potatoes, you can freeze them and eat them later, or just eat them all week long.
You will need a potato masher to mash the potatoes or you can use a handmixer for a creamy potato. I personally like a few lumps in the potatoes as it shows they were homemade.
- 5lbs potatoes
- 1 stick butter, cubed
- 1-2 teaspoons pepper (to your taste)
- Peel and cut the potatoes into a 5 quart pan.
- Potatoes should be cut into even sized pieces (this allows them to cook and be done at the same time). These will cook about 30-45 minutes, depending on the size of the potatoes.
- Place water into the pan to cover the potatoes and cook on medium heat.
- You will need to check the potatoes with a fork to see if they are done. They are done when the potatoes break apart easily with a fork.
- Remove from the heat and drain out the water.
- Add the butter and 1/2 the pepper.
- Pour in 1/2 cup milk to start.
- With your potato masher, crush and breakdown the potatoes into small pieces.
- If needed add more milk, but you don't want it to become a soup.
- If you like more pepper, you can add more pepper. People can always add more pepper to their taste.
- Once the potatoes are mashed, you can serve in a nice bowl, or in the pan they were cooked in.
- Serve and enjoy.