I love apple pie and my family loves french toast. We canned a lot of apple pie filling, so I’m always looking at ways to make more than just an apple pie with it.
Check out how you can make breakfast. This does have to sit over night, so it requires planning.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 pint (or can) of apple pie filling
- 1/2 loaf french bread (about 9 inches long), pulled into small pieces
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon-vanilla (or just cinnamon)
- In a greased 9x9 pan, add the can of apple pie filling and spread out evenly.
- Add the broken up french bread.
- Add the butter on top of the bread, spreading it out over the top.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and then add the milk, vanilla, brown sugar and cinnamon, mixing thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture over the french toast.
- Cover the pan with foil or plastic wrap and place in the fridge to set overnight.
- When ready to cook, remove from fridge and remove foil/plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cook for 25-30 minutes until crispy and the eggs are done.
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.