Sweet potato casserole is really delicious. It is perfect dish to make more than at the holiday’s.
It is a great dish to bring to parties and events and family gatherings.
We enjoy it at all our family holiday meals: Easter, Thanksgiving and will be making it again for Christmas.
Our family is divided on the marshmallows, no marshmallows debate. To make everyone happy, we put marshmallows on half of the dish.
To make this dish quick, you can buy the canned yams instead, but we prefer to make them from scratch and bake the potatoes ahead of time.
- 2 large sweet potatoes peeled and cubed (or you can use baked sweet potatoes
- 1/2 stick butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- marshmellows to cover the sweet potatoes
- tin foil
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Peel and cube the sweet potatoes and place into a baking dish.
- Place the cubed butter on top of the potatoes and cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 25 minutes and remove from oven.
- Mash the potatoes if they are mushy enough. Cover and do again in 20 minutes if not all mashed.
- Remove from oven, mash the potatoes with a fork (or remove from the pan and mash (your choice).
- Add the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and all spice to the potatoes and blend.
- Place marshmellows on top of the sweet potatoes and put back into the oven, only enough for them to brown.(marshmallows will puff up)
- Remove from the oven and enjoy.
If you have already cooked the sweet potatoes, mix all the ingredients together and mash the potatoes. Add the marshmallows on top and bake until brown.