And then we used them up.
We followed the recipe from the Ball Canning Book, minus the salt.
Ten 5 pound bags (50 lbs of potatoes) of potatoes made 43 quart jars.
- Peeled Potatoes
- Quart Jars
- Jar Lids
- Jar Bands
- Pressure Cooker
- Boil the lids to sterilize (until the water boils).
- Peel the potatoes.
- Cube the potatoes or use a french fry cutter to get a uniform shape.
- Fill the jars with potatoes below the neck of the jar.
- Fill the jar with hot water up to the neck of the jar, leaving an 1 inch space between the water and lid.
- Place the lid and ring on the jar and tighten.
- Place the jars in the pressure cooker (about 7 quarts fit in my pressure cooker).
- Ensure to put the pressure regulator on the pressure cooker to allow pressure to build.
- Let pressure build to 10 pounds.
- Once pressure is at 10 pounds, set a timer and allow to maintain this pressure for 35-40 minutes (we did 35 minutes).
- Turn off the heat.
- Wait for the pressure to go to zero.
- Remove the jars and place on the counter to cool.