I had been buying premade mixes and I decided to try my hand at making my own version of muffins.
My son asks for this one every few weeks, so I try to keep apples on hand to make this. Enjoy!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large or 3 small granny smith apples
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Strudel Mix:
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350. Use cupcake holders and place in the muffin pan, or grease it.
- Peel the apples and cut into small 1/4" size chunks. Add the lemon juice and mix. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the whole flour, white flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and ground cinnamon. Mix thoroughly, set aside.
- In a smaller bowl (or add into the dry ingredients, but it's easier to mix when you do in seperate bowl. Add eggs, butter and vanilla and mix. Add into dry ingredients bowl. Mix thoroughly. Add apples in and stir thoroughly.
- Take the batter and fill the muffin tin up to the top. This should fill 1 tin of 12 muffins completely.
- Make the Strudel Mix by dding the brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Mix and then add the butter. This will become a clumpy. Take a good tablespoon worth and each muffin will be covered well.
- Place into oven and bake 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.